Trick or Treat? Treat? Okay, I Got One. Endings Lead To New Beginnings!

Hey there everyone! My name is Ryan Hebert and this is my blog! If you have been here before, welcome back! It is such a pleasure to have you back here! If you're new here, WELCOME! You'll notice a stream of pugs on my blog as you're reading, this is to entertain those that might not want to read every single letter I put on this page, so enjoy if you're that type of person. If you do read every letter I write and enjoy the pugs, I'm so glad to hear that! Without further ado, let's get started!


This past Saturday I had a number of wonderful beginnings for myself. I went to go see my first TTS show of the year this weekend. I got to see the romantic and saddening production of Seven Homeless Mammoths Wander New England. This production featured a fantastic ensemble of six actors. Each one of them should feel accomplished and proud of what they put on. I had various friends and community members speaking on the excellence of this show. It was definitely a show that I had not seen before. The circumstances and the way it was done in the space was so unique and cool, I loved every bit of it. My mentioning of the stellar set is only an inkling of its actual potential. One would have to be there to see it in person to understand how incredible the set was. The lighting was the glue that held this entire production together. Not to mention the cavemen tableaus that would reflect themselves in the past and would have a witty dialogue of the people sneaking into the museum to have sex. The show was approximately 2 and 1/2 hours but this did not bother me. I had all the time in the world to witness a show that took place in the present, and yet it had bursts of the past rear its ugly head. One character has their cancer come back, while another had an old relationship come back from the past. The show is riddled in metaphors, and this blogger has one question left after seeing the show. When will it be put up again? The show closed this evening to my dismay and I only wish I had gone to see it more. The role of the Caretaker was played by Matthew Elam. The character is confusing, and also one of the most fascinating characters I have seen on stage in a long time. The caretaker spoke only in newspaper passages. As much as I tried to wrap my head around this character, he was gone before I could come to a decision. I want to congratulate the cast on a lovely show, and especially Sola Thompson on her portrayal of the character Greer.

It's been said that one's end is another beginning! At The Theatre School, this is a very true statement because my show just opened this evening! Fray the Tethers, which runs 10/29-11/3 is currently running in Room 410 at The Theatre School. I assistant directed this production under Kristina Fluty at the Theatre School. It was a pleasure to helm this production with her and I gained a plethora of knowledge from her guidance as a movement instructor and director. I was very fortunate to get a director who had a background in movement, rather than acting. It created a piece that was entirely original from the cast, and I can say that the cast did not disappoint in their opening today! Each individual gave their all, and I am so proud to say that I was apart of this intro for the BFA2 actors.

This past Saturday, the DePaul PokéDemons teamed up with a new local organization to host our annual Spooky Cup Event! (I call it Spoopy Cup but whatever.) This was our first year with this new business and we were so ecstatic by the outcome. While it is almost impossible to know who is going to come, we had a pretty good number of people show up for the Video Game tournament. Sadly, there were only 4 players there for the card game, but it was still enough to host a small tournament. The event went flawlessly, and I was so proud of my Executive Board for all of their hard work. The pay off was definitely worth it! I think we also left a good first impression with Good Games (The name of the local business) so I am hoping we can go back to them for another event in the Winter time!



You might be wondering, Ryan, have you taken any classes this quarter at DePaul? You seem to be so busy with other things that you're really not taking classes at all. Well hold your horses there partner, I've got the whole breakdown for yah!





I took a total of 4 classes this quarter:

Sophomore Seminar
This class was taught by a little old lady named Professor D. Weinstein. She has a thick New York accent and she is quite the character. This is a required English class for any second year at DePaul University. Her course was based on Dystopias and it did not disappoint. The combination of reading Brave New World, 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 made for an exciting class.

Performance Workshop 2
This class was taught by Sarah Hect. A newer teacher at The Theatre School. Turns out she is an MFA Acting Graduate who has returned to share her inspiration and knowledge as a teacher. Her class is fun, invigorating and inspirational. I also get to finally act in a piece again. Not in a performance setting, but for my peers in class. It's been more than a year now since I've been in a real show, so I am really getting my fix by taking this class.

Playwriting 1
I mean what can I say. Dean Corrin is a teaching legend. The man is funny, caring, compassionate and he knows what he is doing. His class is easy going yet challenging to any writer! I recommend this class to any TTS major at The Theatre School. A solid 10/5 Dunkey Review.


Me not understanding Philosophical Concepts
Philosophy and Film
This class is one that I can say has truly challenged me in ways that I never thought I could. Philosophical thinking does not come easily to me. This class is just a struggle overall, but I keep striving forward with confidence and hope that I will understand. I just hope my classmates feel the same way I do.



Pug or Treat?
An ending is approaching us all. The month of October is about to pass in the next couple of days and this month has been big for me. It's been big because I had a big change in my life. I hit the big 20. Now while most people think that 21 is the more significant birthday, I disagree. While 21 is designated as the age for drinking and much more, I believe reaching two decades on this blue marble is quite the accomplishment. Seeing that it is not easy to make it to where I am today. Due to the countless years of support from family, friends and the world itself, I am lucky to be where I am. Sitting in my apartment in Chicago, IL is not something I thought of at my 7th birthday party while I was carving a pumpkin in the driveway in Marlborough, MA. I am sad that this month is passing, but I am excited for the 1st of November as it is a new beginning and a new month that is almost the end of our new year of 2017! Funny how that works out.

It's been a while since I've spoken on this topic so I thought I would bring it up. A couple days ago, some friends at work were talking about their majors and where they want to be ending up after they get out of college. They eventually went down the line and got to myself. As of right now, I am hoping to do a BFA in Theatre Arts with a concentration in Directing, as well as a BA in Political Science with a concentration in International Relations. I had one of them ask me what I want to get out of those degrees and how they go together. I was sort of shocked to hear the question from them because I knew that theatre is getting more political every day and the international stage is not called a stage for nothing. To be honest, I have no idea where I am going yet, but I am confident that something is going to clear its way for me in the near future.

Finally, I want to remind everyone that I have my first radio show happening super soon at DePaul! https://radio.depaul.edu/ is where you can find the live streaming service! Be sure to tune in 10pm-12am Central!

That's all I've got, for now, thanks for reading everyone! Tah-tah for now!

Ryan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year Later: An Update From Ryan

Pokemon VGC 17 Team Building ideas