Closing In On The End of First Quarter

Hello my friends! Welcome back to Acting in The Groove! My name is Ryan Hebert and I am so glad you are reading my post today!

So if you already know me and have been keeping up with my recent activity, I am a current student at DePaul University, and I am almost done with my first quarter.

First off, I never knew college could be so exciting. You never know what can happen. From chilling in your room one night, to being at a party the next. It is honestly insane how quickly stuff can change. The experiences i've had with my friends here are one's I will remember forever.

I'd really love to share one of those fun experiences with you all today. It was a mild night in Chicago. About 8:30-9pm on a Sunday night. I walk down a street with some of my friends, near the DePaul campus, but off campus for sure. We then continue on this street for a long while until we take a turn onto a smaller street and then an alley of sorts. It was a nicely lit alley with garages and a bricked drive in the middle. It was probably the most upscale alley I had ever seen. Anyways, we then go into a small corner of a partially constructed house lot. My friends, the 4 of them, then pull out some weed and some tools to smoke that weed. Meanwhile I'm a few feet away from them all because I don't like the smell and I do not want to partake in smoking weed. It is awfully quiet and this kitchen window across the alley from us has an open window and the lights are on and everything. I just pray no one comes by and calls the police on us. My heart rate rises as I hear a lady an a dog walking down the alley. I whisper to the guys, and we all crouch up against the wall in the shadow that is being cast by one of the garages in the small niche that we are in.

The lady happens to be on the phone and walks right by us. We all start to breathe again and I tell the guys we should get out of here. They're all still taking their sweet time smoking and then all of a sudden, a man on a 3rd floor balcony comes out to water his plants. We are in direct sight of him, so we are all still and silent, trying to hide in the shadows, to once again, not get caught. After 15 minutes of being silent, the man on the terrace goes away. I look at the guys, and they get that I am ready to go. I don't want you to take this the wrong way, and think I was the reason why we all left cause it wasn't. They just ran out of weed so that's when we left. I don't think I had ever felt so scared to get caught for something in my life. Ever since then, I have never gone out on another weed outing of sorts.

Besides that little encounter, the party life for myself has been quite interesting. Talk about being the belle of the ball, that is definitely not the life for me. College parties that I have attended, whether they are full of theatre kids, frat bros or sorority girls, they all consist of drinking and pot. The most important thing I know and have learned is that you don't have to do a single thing. Your presence being there is really enough. Trust me! People will remember your there! That is probably the best advice I can give. Also, if you do decide to do anything, make sure you have a trusted buddy or friend to get you home safe.

My classes for this quarter have been amazing. I have learned so much about theatre, I can hardly believe that this is just my first quarter. I am so psyched for what is to come next quarter, and beyond!

The theatre scene in Chicago is stellar. Theatre is everywhere and there is so much of it to see. From The Goodman, to Steppenwolf, to Victory Gardens, to The Hypocrites, Hell in A Handbag or The Griffin Theatre Company, Union or Non Union, there is never a lack of theatre. I actually feel as though I have a chance at being an artist in this city. It is so inspiring to be here and see what is actually going on. In New York City, commercial productions take up so much of the advertising that it is so hard to see what non-famous things are going on. I am so grateful to be in this theatre community, I hope to be apart of it soon.

DePaul is a college is friendly, welcoming, and the perfect place for someone who comes from a suburban area that wants a bit of suburbs and city life at the same time.

Now besides my college experience, my relationship experience has been thriving as well! As you may or may not know, I'm in a long distance relationship with a beautiful girl named Izzy at the moment. We've been with each other for over a year and 7 months now and I can't believe it. We text every day and video call every other day or every 2-3 days. We are both busy people, but we make time for each other. I love her so much and I really miss her. I am now 12 days away from seeing her again and I can't wait. I'm so excited to visit her at University of New Hampshire and I can't wait to see her family and my family again as well. She is amazing. I need the world to know how supportive she is and how much she'll do for me. She is the best person ever. I hope to never lose her. Ever.

I oddly have about 6 weeks off for my break, starting November 18th, going until January 1st, 2017. What I hope to do with that time is work my ass off, earn some money, see my friends, and see Izzy. I hope to eats lots of holiday food cause (Duhhhhhh it's the holiday food season) and I am beyond excited to just have some time off from the stress of college.

That's all for today my friends. I'm glad that I had a chance to update you all as I go into finals week. I'll be sure to post more over my break. With all my new found excitement for my second quarter of college!!! Tah tah for now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trick or Treat? Treat? Okay, I Got One. Endings Lead To New Beginnings!

A Year Later: An Update From Ryan

Pokemon VGC 17 Team Building ideas