Decem- Wait. January. Waitttt. February during 2nd Quarter DePaul and Pokemon Time Management! P.S. Dank Memes

Greetings, peoples of the universe! Welcome back to Acting in the Groove! I'm Ryan, and for all of you who have never read this blog before, welcome! Thanks for being here to do a little reading today. I am so excited to write about all of my experiences in the past months. So without further ado, let us get started! 

After what seemed to be a long first quarter, I finally left for Boston at the end of November. I was finally ready to go home after a thrilling first quarter. Immediately after two days at home, my sleep schedule fell back into order and I was tired before 12 AM. It was a blessing and a curse at the same time. But most of all, I was brought together again with my darling Izzy. My mother's partner, Donna, and I pulled up to Dunkin Donuts, where Izzy had been waiting for almost an hour since the plane was slightly late. 

We pull up to the lot and I don't know what to do. Let her get in, get out, oh! What to do! Well, Izzy being Izzy, the cute, amazing, and wonderful girlfriend she is, yells at me, "Well what are you waiting for?!" I hop out of the car and give her giant hug and some kisses as well. For the next half hour, I am in shock of her presence and the sound of her voice because hearing it in person was definitely different than over Skype or a phone call. 

That was an awesome day. The first few days at home were great. Mom had her baby back home, and everything was at peace until the honeymoon phase of my return ran out. Soon enough I was out looking for a job.

DePaul's winter break is 6 weeks long with no school at all. I had a month and half of eligible working time and I needed a job. I searched high and low to find a job, and eventually ended up with a killer job at Lindt Chocolate. I worked along side Mike, the manager, Sonu, the assistant manager, Alanis, Rosemary, Aditi, Ariel, a girl that looked like Taylor Swift, and even an employee that caused some trouble with higher ups while I was there! I was an official Chocolate Advisor, and I could name every flavor of Lindor on the truffle table.

It was honestly a pretty sweet deal. I gave out chocolate and helped loved one's pick out sweets for their family and friends. Best of all, I had a tremendous discount at the store, and all of my family and my girlfriend's family received chocolate this past Christmas!


(I have no idea who these strangers are in front of my store, but that is my store!)

Anyways, blah blah blah, Christmas was full of chocolate and my girlfriend and I were reunited over break. It was absolutely wonderful. I was able to catch up with some high school friends and I was able to spend time with Izzy as well.

I also took some trips to Izzy's college, UNH, and stayed overnight quite a few times. To this day, I'm still not sure if her roommate enjoyed my stay, but she always told me she did not mind. Her roommate's name was Helen and she is a very particular girl. She and I frequently traded a fun phrase which was, "Shove a Torterra up you ass, Helen!" Honestly, I was the only one saying it, but that is beside the point, she was a kind soul, and I am very grateful for her letting me stay overnight with Izzy.

December was a great month. It came with its own set of challenges, but it also came with a lot of fun as well. 



As for vacation, it did have to end at some point. Before I left for Chicago, I made sure to stop at my favorite restaurant in New Hampshire, The Airport Diner! Pictured above is the diner's cool, warm and crunchy, Grasshopper Pie. A personal favorite of mine that includes mint chocolate chip ice cream, with a graham cracker crust and warm hot fudge on top and the sides. Topped off with a large amount of whipped cream. Easily my favorite thing at this location.

As much as I hated leaving my family, and especially Izzy (she knows since I cried on her shoulder for 15-20 minutes) I had to go back to school for the second quarter at DePaul. I was no longer a first-semester college freshman, I was a second quarter college freshman. There is a difference, I assure you. Those differences include knowing where most things are on campus, and feeling at ease with the modes of public of transportation in Chicago. I also had friends and a second home to go to.

I had missed University Hall and my friends. I missed the vast education I had been given first-quarter

(Back to Chicago!)

January at DePaul was an interesting time. It was the beginning of the second quarter. There were new classes, new teachers, and new people to friend. I had a different theater tech crew this quarter as well. I was a part of House and Public Relations this quarter. I ushered for a show called,
We Are Proud to Present a Presentation About the Herero of Namibia, Formerly Known as Southwest Africa, From the German Sudwestafrika, Between the Years 1884-1915 By Jackie Sibblies Drury.
This show was absolutely thrilling and striking.

I was so proud to be apart of it. If you want more info on the show itself, go here: https://muse.jhu.edu/article/605992

As for my classes, I took on a hefty course load of 5 classes for the quarter. Last quarter I took 4 classes, so this was a small step up. I figured that since I was not going to be outside as much, I would have some more time inside to commit to my studies.

This quarter I took, Intro to International Relations with Professor Phillip Stalley, Quantitative Explanation and Reasoning with Ozlem, Word 103 with Bridget Wagner, History of Dramatic Literature with Coya Paz, and Intro to Theatre Studies with Barry Brunetti.

Out of all of them, for the gen-eds such as Quantitative Reasoning and Word 103, Bridget Wagner has to be my favorite teacher. She is much younger than most teachers I have had, and I think she might even be a generation above me. She is highly qualified for her job and one of the best professors I have met at this university so far.

As for my two theatre classes, I love Barry, he is just a helluva' guy! His classes are reflective, thoughtful, intriguing and fair. I hold him on a very high pedestal, and he deserves it.

Besides my two favorite teachers, I have learned a lot from all the classes this quarter and I will miss them dearly. (I'll talk about this in a little bit!) Now for the exciting things about January!!!

My darling girlfriend, Izzy, took her first trip to Chicago! My Christmas present to her were plane tickets to Chicago for a weekend of fun! She had never been and I wanted her to see what life was like for me in the big city of Chicago! (We had some Chicago dogs in Chicago!)


I can tell you in confidence she had a fantastic weekend. She told me before she came that she wanted to go to a party. From what I learned first quarter, going out into the city with friends to find a part was definitely not the thing to do with her. I decided to bring the party to her. I rallied about 10-12 friends on the 4th floor of University Hall to come to my room at 8:30 PM on Friday to have a big party in my room! I got drinks, chips and dip, and some small snacks as well. Everything was just perfect. Soon enough people arrived and we busted out Cards Against Humanity. For two and half hours, we played Cards Against Humanity with all my friends. I got the chance to introduce people to Izzy and Izzy got a chance to meet some of my friends from the dorm.

On Saturday we went out on the town for a day of fun! My favorite part about this weekend was not only getting to see Izzy, but Izzy got to meet one of my best friends as DePaul, Hayden Northwick. Check out his twitch! He streams quite frequently and he's an awesome guy!

Izzy, myself, Hayden and his girlfriend Amanda, and my roommate Robert, all went out to breakfast the Original Pancake house in downtown Chicago. It is one of my favorite breakfast places in Chicago to visit. They have waffles, pancakes, eggs, crepes and more! This place had it all. So obviously we had to go here. After a late breakfast, Izzy and I went over to the Art Institute. While it was a beautiful day outside, I purchased tickets for Izzy and myself to go visit one of the world's top art museums. With art from civilizations from all times, this museum had to be the place Izzy saw while she was here. She and I spent two and half hours in the museum before we decided to go visit, The Bean. A giant multitude of metal that sits in the center of Millenium Park.

On Sunday, we slept and ate some food at the Stu before I had to my the saddening trip back to the airport with Izzy. I had to let her go home and I cried for another 15-20 minutes. Just as I had when I left her in Boston.

(A salty photo of us! #goals)
January was full of sweet memories, and a great start to the second quarter. I would say that this was a great month to be at DePaul.  P.S. I also had a live reading of one of my plays with a group of actors and a small audience of friends!!!


After an action packed January, I had no idea what February would bring. First off, it brought along my first DnD campaign. Let me tell you, that is one of the best experiences I've had at DePaul so far. 14 hours, sitting around a table with friends, doing nothing but having a good time. $70 worth of Dominos, snacks, food and drinks. It was such a lovely time. My current DnD session involves Hayden, my roommate Robert, my suitemates (the Nathan's') and Zach, one of Robert's friends.
We are a small merry band of travelers who like to do stupid shit to each other and it's just a great time. We just had our second session this past weekend and since we leveled up, our DM let us each choose an instrument. I chose the bagpipes cause why not? I also made the choice that any time my character starts playing the bagpipes, I whip out my phone and start playing Scotland the Brave on the bagpipes from Youtube. I love DnD and I hope to play with this group for a long time.

February has brought along Midterms for my classes, I am also nearing the end of the second quarter. My classes are finishing up and I am preparing for a restful week of spring break!

Now to get nerdy! I am currently training as hard as I can in Pokemon Sun and Moon for a competitive event coming up during spring break on March 25th.

For weeks now I have spent my free time training, studying, and inspecting what is popular in the current metagame, and what is working. I have tested over 10 different teams and I have finally come upon one team, in particular, to use for the tournament.

I am proud to say that I have finally figured out how to IV/EV train Pokemon effectively and actually produce fighting worthy Pokemon.

The Pokemon Club at DePaul also hosted a very successful Valentine's Day tournament. We had a small but great turnout, and I could not have been happier with the results. As far as I know, there was no cheating and everyone played fairly.

I cannot wait to start battling some players during spring break at the Midseason Showdown!

Wow! I have covered a lot of time here in such a small amount of writing but thank you for reading. I love it when people take the time to read something these days. Be sure to tune into this blog for more posts in the future! A March post will be coming soon enough! I love you all! Have a great rest of your day!

PSS. Enjoy some fresh memes that I have discovered over the past months.
(AnCap Meme below)





CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE SHOOTING STARS MEME VIDEO ON YOUTUBE




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trick or Treat? Treat? Okay, I Got One. Endings Lead To New Beginnings!

A Year Later: An Update From Ryan

Pokemon VGC 17 Team Building ideas